Honestly, I never heard about tomato pie until I lived in the south. Even then, for some reason, it just held no appeal for me…oh boy,was I blind. Finally, after several “suggestions” from Pinterest, I decided to give it a go. Pleasant surprise…despite the simplistic nature of the ingredients, it truly tasted…well, just like a fresh summer day. Let me give you the recipe!
1. Blind baked pie shell. I typically have several homemade pie crusts in the freezer, but store bought is fine…no judgment
2. 1/2 to 1 cup fresh chopped basil, extra points if you grow your own
3. 5-6 freshly chopped tomatoes with the juice squeezed out….I save and freeze the juice to use in stocks and broths
5. 1/2 cup mayonnaise…I use full fat, I assume reduced fat would work, if you try it let me know.
6. 2 cups chopped and shredded cheese…I use whatever I have on hand, for this pie I used cubed mozzarella and shredded cheddar.
7. A few dashes of hot sauce and a sprinkling of sea salt
Easy peasy steps
1. Placed juiced tomatoes in blind baked crust
It has been a busy weekend here…and as you can see even the Princess has her limits. It made for a good naptime however!
Show and share. Inspire Me Monday. No Place Like Home. Tuesday at Our House. The Scoop. Inspire Me Tuesday. Thrifty and Vintage Finds Make it Pretty. Titus 2 Tuesday. Monday of Many Blessings. Art of Homemaking. Wow us Wednesday Talk of The Town. Let’s Talk Vintage. Share It. Vintage Bliss. Moonlight and Mason Jars. Work it Wednesday. Share Your Cup. Share your Style. Tuesday with a Twist. Home and Garden. Welcome Home Wednesday Thursday Favorites. Wonderful Wednesday. Waste not Wednesday.Thoughts of Home. Your Inspired Design. Shabbilious Friday. Friday Features. Home Sweet Home. Feather Nest Friday. Sweet and Simple. Tada Thursday Imparting Grace. Morning Cup of Joe. Home Matters. Sweet Inspiration. Best of the Weekend. Vintage Chic. Sunday at Home. Share it one more time. Peace Love Link. Amaze Me Monday. Busy Monday. Digging it inspiration Monday. Little House Links. Finding Silver Pennies. Friendship Friday. Snicker doodle Inspire Me Monday