This week our household suffered a minor tragedy…our beloved slow cooker decided to officially retire from service and enjoy life in some landfill. Perhaps tragedy is a bit of an exaggeration, but what else can you feel when the piece of equipment that provided hot, delicious food for our table, at least twice a week, is just not…there? Target.com to the rescue and 3 days later, a younger and flashier model (it has a meat probe people) was placed gently on our front porch. Now, to break it in! Anyone interested in baked potato soup? I can think of nothing more comforting on a cold, blustery winter day, than to walk into the door to the sight and smell of hot, homemade soup. You won’t believe how easy it is to make…even with an old school slow cooker!
1. 8 cups of potatoes washed and diced into cubes. I leave on the skins, but this is a matter of taste.
2. 2 cups beef stock. Chicken, even vegetable stock would work, I happen to like richness of the beef against the potatoes. Once again a matter of taste.
3. An 8 oz package of cream cheese.
4. 1 cup milk or cream
5. Salt and pepper to taste.
1. Place potatoes and stock into crock pot. Cook on low for 5 hours. If I am pressed for time, I bump up to high for an hour.
2. Mash potatoes in slow cooker and use my new favorite kitchen tool,the immersion blender, to blend to a smoother consistency…not too smooth you want some chunky goodness. Add the milk or cream. Stir well.
4.Remove and serve with a fun variety of toppings…bacon, sour cream and cheddar cheese are always a hit.
In other news, the princess has found a new hiding place…
Inspire me Monday. Show and share. Inspire me Tuesday Tuesday at our house. The scoop. Make it pretty. Art of homemaking. Made by you. Metamorphosis Gods great garden. Wow us Wednesday. Let’s talk vintage. Share it. Tuesday with a twist. Wonderful Wednesday. Brag about it. Talk of the town. Moonlight and Mason jars share your cup. Share your style. Home and garden. Welcome home. Thursday favorites. Waste not. Coffee and conversation. Home sweet home. Friendship Friday. Your inspired design. Friday features. Grace at home. Feather nest Friday morning cup of joe. Home matters. Sweet inspiration. Vintage chic Oh hey Friday. Best of the weekend. Sunday at home. Share it one more time. Snickerdoodle. Simple Saturday. Silver pennies. Create with joy. Inspiration Monday. Digging it. Let’s add sprinkles. Amaze me Monday.