Is it possible to improve upon perfection. At one time, my answer would have been a firm and immediate no…but now, I’m not quite sure. What has brought about this change of heart? To start at the beginning, I had this wonderful scrumptious butter cake…yes the very one featured in the blog post. It was the cake for which dreams are made. But maybe, possibly, could I add a touch…a really big touch of…wait for it… chocolate? Yes I could and yes I did…the verdict…the perfection of perfection!
The Usual Cast Of Characters
2 sticks butter, melted
1 pkg chocolate cake mix
3 eggs (one egg for bottom cake layer THEN two eggs for filling layer)
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup cocoa powder
16 oz confectioners sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
The Steps to Glory
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees (325 convection) and prepare a 9-inch by 3-inch round cake pan OR 9×13 dish. (I have heard a bundt works as well!)
2. Combine the cake mix, 1 egg (you will use the other two eggs elsewhere), and 1 stick melted butter (1/2 cup), and stir until well blended.
3. Pat the mixture into prepared pan and set aside.
4. In a stand mixer on medium speed (or using a hand-held mixer), beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the remaining 2 eggs and the cocoa powder.
5. Lower the speed of the mixer and add the powdered sugar. Slowly add the remaining 1 stick (1/2 cup) of melted butter. Add vanilla and continue to beat the mixture until smooth.
6. Pour filling over cake mixture in pan.
7. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. (check at 30 minutes with 9×13) Be careful not to overcook the cake; the center should still be a little gooey when finished baking.
8. Let cake partially cool on a wire rack before cutting into pieces.
Served wonderfully with Red, White and Blue!
inspire me Monday. Tuesday at our house. The scoop. Inspire me Tuesday. Make it pretty.Made by you.Metamorphosis. You’re the star. Tuesday with a twist. Wonderful Wednesday.Talk Of The town. Keep in touch. Party in your PJs. Wednesday blog hop. Home and garden. Waste not. Dagmar’s house. Grandma’s house DIY. Friday features. Home sweet home. Feather nest. Friendship Friday Funtastic Friday. Grace at home. Pit stop. Thursday favorites. Share your cup. Morning cup of joe. Home matters sweet inspiration best of the weekend. Create bake grow. 5 Things Friday. Fresh market. Faith and family. Sunday at home. Snickerdoodle happiness is homemade. Saturday shuffle. Silver pennies. Create with joy. Inspiration Monday. DI&DI. Amaze me. Smell good Sunday. Over the moon. Your whims Wednesday