With a busy week visiting family and tending to a recuperating Princess, I have reached deep into the vault for a classic recipe that still stands as one of my most favorite.
Honestly, I never heard about tomato pie until I lived in the south. Even then, for some reason, it just held no appeal for me…oh boy,was I blind. Finally, after several “suggestions” from Pinterest, I decided to give it a go. Pleasant surprise…despite the simplistic nature of the ingredients, it truly tasted…well, just like a fresh summer day. Let me give you the recipe!
1. Blind baked pie shell. I typically have several homemade pie crusts in the freezer, but store bought is fine…no judgment
2. 1/2 to 1 cup fresh chopped basil, extra points if you grow your own
3. 5-6 freshly chopped tomatoes with the juice squeezed out….I save and freeze the juice to use in stocks and broths
5. 1/2 cup mayonnaise…I use full fat, I assume reduced fat would work, if you try it let me know.
6. 2 cups chopped and shredded cheese…I use whatever I have on hand, for this pie I used cubed mozzarella and shredded cheddar.
7. A few dashes of hot sauce and a sprinkling of sea salt
Easy peasy steps
1. Placed juiced tomatoes in blind baked crust
Oh, and no worries about the Princess…I believe she is on the mend.
Inspire me Monday. Tuesday at our house. The scoop. Inspire me Tuesday. Make it pretty. Made by you. Metamorphosis. You’re the star. Tuesday with a twist. Wonderful Wednesday. Talk Of The town. Keep in touch.Party in your pjs. Wednesday blog hop. Your whim. Home and garden. Waste not. Dagmar’s house. Grandma’s DIY. Friday features. Feather nest. Friendship Friday. Funtastic Friday. Grace at home. Pit stop. Thursday favorites. Share your cup. BFF open house. Morning Cup Of Joe. Home matters. Sweet inspiration. Best of the weekend. Create bake grow . Fresh market. Faith and family. Sunday at home.Snickerdoodle. Happiness is homemade. Saturday shuffle. Silver pennies. Create with joy. Inspiration Monday. DI&DI. Amaze me. Smell good Sunday. Over the moon. Good Morning Monday