I needed a challenge this weekend. Something multi -step with an incredible payoff at the end. Something to cheer up my family and celebrate our many blessings of work, health and friends. Pie! I mean who doesn’t like the idea of pie? Chiffon pie? Well I had the time, I just needed to see if I had the skills…are you ready for the challenge?
For my crust, I went a little crazy and used animal crackers instead of a classic graham cracker crust. Sometimes you need to live on the edge a bit.
Blueberry Lemon Chiffon Pie
The Usual Cast of Characters
1 ½ tablespoons ground arrowroot
2 tablespoons water
½ teaspoon salt
1 package unflavored gelatin
¼ cup orange juice
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
½ cup lemon juice
4 egg yolks
2 egg whites
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup confectioner’s sugar
¾ cup heavy cream
Steps to Glory
1. Combine blueberries, 1 cup of sugar, arrowroot, water and ¼ teaspoon salt in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cook until reduced by 1/2 , about 12-15 minutes.
2. Using a fine sieve to remove blueberries, pour into a bowl using a spoon to press all the juice. Pour sauce into the prepared pie crust and refrigerate.
3. Sprinkle gelatin evenly over orange in a bowl to soften.
4. In a metal mixing bowl, combine zests, lemon juice, remaining sugar, egg yolks, and remaining salt. Place bowl over a large pan of simmering water. DO NOT LET THE BOWL TOUCH THE WATER, and cook 4-5 minutes stirring consistently until it forms a soft custard. Remove from heat and add gelatin and vanilla. Stir to dissolve.
5. Refrigerate and stir often until it thickens about 25-30 minutes.
6. Beat egg whites until fluffy, add confectioners sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
7. Beat heavy cream until stiff.
8. Gently add lemon mixture to egg whites. Gently add cream. Do not over mix
9. Spoon over blueberry sauce. Refrigerate until firm, at least 3 hours.
10. Serve cold
This pie is best eaten on a front porch on a sunny afternoon, while talking to neighbors and admiring their dogs.
And maybe fly a kite!
Inspire me Monday. Tuesday at our house. Inspire me Tuesday. Make it pretty. Metamorphosis. You’re the Star. Tuesday with a twist. Wonderful Wednesday. Keep in touch. . Party in your pjs. Wednesday blog hop. Your whim. Share your style. Home and garden. Waste not. Grandma’s House DIY. Vintage charm. Friday features. Friendship Friday. Funtastic Friday. Grace at Home. Pit Stop. Thursday favorites. BFF open house. Morning Cup Of Joe. Home matters. Create bake grow. Snickerdoodle. Happiness is homemade. Silver pennies. Create with joy. Over the Moon Creatively crafty Senior salon. Turn about Tuesday celebrate your story Little cottage Saturday Sparks Farmhouse Friday All About Home Flaunt it Friday fresh farm. Pink Saturday simple homestead Happy at Home what’s for dinner