Honestly, I never heard about tomato pie until I lived in the south. Even then, for some reason, it just held no appeal for me…oh boy,was I blind. Finally, after several “suggestions” from Pinterest, I decided to give it a go. Pleasant surprise…despite the simplistic nature of the ingredients, it truly tasted…well, just like a fresh late summer day. Let me give you the recipe!
1. Blind baked pie shell. I typically have several homemade pie crusts in the freezer, but store bought is fine…no judgment
2. 1/2 to 1 cup fresh chopped basil, extra points if you grow your own
3. 5-6 freshly chopped tomatoes with the juice squeezed out….I save and freeze the juice to use in stocks and broths
5. 1/2 cup mayonnaise…I use full fat, I assume reduced fat would work, if you try it let me know.
6. 2 cups chopped and shredded cheese…I use whatever I have on hand, for this pie I used cubed mozzarella and shredded cheddar.
7. A few dashes of hot sauce and a sprinkling of sea salt
Easy peasy steps
1. Placed juiced tomatoes in blind baked crust
Of course, a beautiful Fall afternoon in downtown Annapolis is pretty nice as well.